PATIENT PARTICIPATION GROUP
What is a Patient Participation Group?
Did you know you belong to our patient group? As a patient of Polden Medical Practice you can have a view on the things that matter in your health service. Our patient participation group is a selection of patients and practice staff who meet at regular intervals to decide ways of making a positive contribution to the services and facilities offered by the practice to the patients.
The purpose of a Patient Participation Group
- To give patients and practice staff a medium for regular discussion of current issues and interests.
- To provide a focus for patients to make suggestions and share ideas regarding health care and the service provided.
- To encourage health education activities.
- To develop self-help activities with the clinical staff.
- To develop wider communication between the practice and the community.
- To act as a representative group that can be called upon to influence the provision of Health and Social Care.
- To liaise with other agencies regarding patient services.
- To evaluate and comment on services provided by the practice.
Whilst general and service feedback is welcomed, we cannot deal with specific complaints. They must always be addressed with the Practice Manager. Nor are we a medium for detailing personal experiences or grievances.
Membership Terms of Reference
- All patients and carers of registered patients are welcome to join the group. It is desirable to have members of all age groups and from each of the villages that the Practice covers, 12 would be an ideal number of members at any one time.
- Interested potential members should contact the Practice Manager, or any current PPG member.
- Meetings are held every 6 – 12 weeks, depending upon need. In some circumstances, an unscheduled meeting may be called or members contacted for a decision by email.
- A quorum of 4 members, including a member of the practice staff is required for each meeting.
- Members of the practice staff are welcome to attend any meeting.
- Patients who are not group members may attend one meeting without joining the group.
- Individual patients will not be discussed. Patient confidentiality will be upheld at all times. Anonymous references may be made.
- Minutes will be taken by the Secretary in the form of action points and circulated to members by email.
- The Chair will have a one year term. They may be re-elected if no other willing member is nominated or volunteers. This should take place by 31st January each year.
- All members are expected to attend meetings on a regular basis, giving their apologies if unable to participate. Members who fail to attend three consecutive meetings may be asked to step down and will be removed from the Group membership.
- Outcomes of the meetings will be publicised to patients by publication on the Patients’ Group page of the practice website.
- Group information and reports will be produced and displayed on the waiting room noticeboards within the Practice and on the Practice website within the dedicated Patient Group Area to keep patients informed as appropriate.
- Any member who is judged to be rude or disruptive by the other members may be asked to leave the group.
- PPG members will not deal with personal grievances or complaints. They must be addressed with the Practice Manager.
More information and resources for PPGs can be found at the National Association for Patient Participation website.
Next Meeting Agenda
28 February 2019 Click Link
Minutes of Meetings
17 January 2019 Click Link
Current Group Members